Monday, May 03, 2010

The Vatican's Crimes and the Pope's Song

















Now that I've seen what Pope Benny's defenders have to say about those who criticize the way he has handled the world wide pedophile scandal.

The latest round of abuse allegations, only one of which can be said to have occurred on Ratzinger's watch, aren't really about supposed Vatican cover-ups of sexual exploitation of children by clerics. They are yet another effort to discredit the Roman Catholic Church wholesale by people whose beefs with Catholicism rest on entirely different grounds — namely that it forbids abortion and homosexual conduct, it doesn't allow women to be priests, and it requires men who enter the priesthood to remain celibate.

And what this one has to say about those who call Benny and his homophobic minions "men in dresses." As I frequently do. 

It's odd that no one ever uses the word "dresses" to describe the ankle-length liturgical garments worn by Episcopal priests. Nor are Protestant ministers or Jewish rabbis derided as cross-dressers when they don long robes for religious services. Has anyone ever called the Dalai Lama "a man in a dress"? Or Genghis Khan? Not unless you wanted to see your ribcage sliced into salami by a scimitar.

I have to admit I never thought of that. Not Genghis Khan. Not my salami.OMG. But what's wrong with men in dresses anyway? I think they're GORGEOUS.



Although I have to say I'm extremely disappointed to see that the British Foreign office has been forced to apologize grovel for coming up with a list of things Benny might like to do when he visits Britain.

The memorandum, apparently written by staff planning events for the four-day visit by Pope Benedict XVI, suggested he might like to start a helpline for abused children, sack "dodgy" bishops, open an abortion ward, launch his own brand of condoms, preside at a civil partnership, perform forward rolls with children, apologise for the Spanish armada and sing a song with the Queen.

And I'm very sorry to see the perpetrator has been named and shamed.

THE civil servant who sent a "vile" email about the Pope's visit to Britain is an ex-public schoolboy who once listed "drinking a lot" among his hobbies.

Because I thought his ideas were brilliant, especially the ones about sacking "dodgy" bishops and apologizing for the Spanish Armada. Because it's about time eh? 

And then I read this story.

About how he DIDN'T sack them. And I thought of all the women and children and gay people those men in dresses have hurt. 

And now I just want to say.

There may be many good Catholics, but this Pope ain't one of them.

And although I wouldn't use this kind of language myself. And I wouldn't want my boss or my mum to hear it.

I do LOVE this song...



h/t Pharyngula

No comments: