Sunday, May 02, 2010

Waiting for the Culture War to Begin














I was lying on the beach today dressed only in a pair of shorts, watching the bushes bend in the wind, waiting for the rain to arrive. Waiting for the war to begin.

Because surely by now EVERYONE must know it's coming.

If the prime minister is still invoking his “legal obligations,” it can only mean his position hasn’t changed a whit. When he speaks of the need to balance one obligation against another, it really means he intends to defy the Speaker and stonewall Parliament.

Or are the Liberals preparing to cave?

You know, I think I'm going to hold my fire for now. Firstly, because I don't believe progressives should be attacking each other at this time. Not when the danger is so great. Not when we don't know what Ignatieff will do. And after all, if he is going to impale Harper on his own petard he has to appear as reasonable as possible.

Secondly, because should this joyous occasion arrive:

I would prefer an election, but even that isn't necessary. Parliament could vote no confidence in the government, and then the Liberals, NDP and Bloc Quebecois could present themselves to the Governor General as a coalition majority government.

We're going to have to learn to work together to save Canada and its values.

Like we once did...



And thirdly, because if an election is forced upon us, I can't think of a better time to fight a culture war.So I'm not worried.

Democracy versus dictatorship. Women and gay rights versus misogyny and homophobia. Secularism versus theocracy. Canada versus Amerika. Bring it on Great Ugly I'm READY.

And if Stephen Harper tries to run on the economy and wrap himself in the flag, I would point to this story.

And ask him why is he letting the dirty oil pigs in Alberta push up the dollar and wreck factories and the tourist industry in Ontario, Quebec, and British Columbia?

Threaten the future of our children AND our beautiful Arctic?

Good timing Jack.

And as for supporting the troops...I would ask him what Canadian generals is he talking about? The ones who sipped tea with the corrupt governor in the House of Pain? While innocent farmers were raped in his private dungeon.

Or the ones who gave six million dollars to the fascist thugs at Blackwater?

And of course, my fave, what is Great Torture Leader trying to HIDE?



What  perverted horror is he so desperate to cover-up? The kinky stinky MONSTER.

Hmmm...you know the more I think about it, the more  I LOVE our chances.

And then the rain came. It ran down my face and chest and into my shorts. The dog was cowering under a picnic table, scared of the thunder and lightning.

But I just lay there breathing in the fresh clean Canadian air....and LAUGHING.

Fuck you Mr Amerika.

Let the war begin...

4 comments:

ck said...

Waiting? The culture war started a long time ago, way before Graves made those controversial statements?

Hello? The Liberals are elitist intellectual snobs who patronize Steve's Team Timmy's, or haven't you heard?

As CC pointed out, trying to teach many everyday Canadians how our parliamentary system should work is much like trying to teach a sheep how to surf (go to cc's; there is an accompanying video; it is mind boggling).

Yes, the Liberals will more than likely negotiate with STeve, and unfortunately, it might be in their best interest to do so. If it were another leader (not even Justin would do; not enough experience for the schoolyard bully, Steve), I would say perhaps, but we're stuck with Iggy.

I'm afraid I've gotten a good dose of reality after speaking with co-workers, aquaintances, family members, neighbours, etc. Let's face it, Canada is no longer the compassionate nation we once were and the troops are heroes to many, regardless of where they stand on the current mission in Afghanistan.

Steve has hinted at going to an election with this. Steve doesn't make threats unless he's sure he can win. Remember, he is at his 'best' (worst for us) when he controls the agenda. If he weren't in control, he'd prorogue again following Milliken's ruling; simple as that. Steve can well get a majority if an election were run now, on this issue.

As for the GG, she's still around until September. Steve needs her to play ball with him until then, whether he likes it or not. I wouldn't be surprised to learn she becomes special envoy to Haiti or something equally figure head-ish with perks to go with it.

As for a coalition, Steve has effectively divided the opposition as he so skilfully does. It was his biggest fear and his nipped that possibility in the bud. The NDP seem to slam the Liberals as often as they slam Harpercons.

No, a Harpercon majority is most terrifying, and I'm at a point where I don't care how it happens, a Harpercon majority must be prevented.

thwap said...

Fuckin' A Simon!

I'm with you. I understand the source of ck's fears, but the fact of the matter is, if you know your stuff you can easily destroy each and every moronic harpercon talking-point.

All of them.

For instance, this isn't about "the troops." This is about the politicians and generals who put the troops in the impossible position of having to turn over potential combat adversaries to a torture-state or simply let them go.

Our leaders failed the troops. Full stop.

I'd love to have a debate on Afghanistan, because it says a lot about our country and what our values supposedly are.

Let's have this out and have it out now.

harper is going down. Mackay is going down. Kenny is going down. Cannon is going down. They're all going to go down and go down hard.

Simon said...

hi ck...geez...thanks for that. I was already depressed about the state of our country. Now I think I'll kill myself...or apply for political asylum in Tahiti. :)
Seriously though... I know what you mean, it is a difficult situation. But don't despair, Harper is looking worse every day, and we have more ammunition to fire at him and his Cons than we have ever had before.
So even if he manages to convince the Governor General to give him an election, if our side plays its cards right, you never know what might happen.
Of course I'm optimist eh? I figure that even if the worse happens,living in Tahiti won't be too bad.... :)

Simon said...

hi Thwap...I LOVE that fighting spirit. :)
Because we can't get enough of it eh? After so much Harper and with the opposition failing to gain ground, it's only natural for progressives to feel a little down. But the stakes are too great for anyone to give up. As I told ck we have a lot of things going for us, and I'm damned if I'm going to let an anti-Canadian fraud like Harper wrap himself in the flag. Or claim that we're not supporting the troops. When as you point out it was the politicians and generals who failed them.
Ironically, if he does try that stunt, we may get a debate on Afghanistan that we should have had long ago. But I already know my position.Long live our side !!!! Harper to The Hague... :)