Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Omar Khadr: A Letter from Guantanamo














In all the years this young Canadian has been jailed in the most sinister prison on earth, we have never heard a word from him.

Except for that ghastly CSIS interrogation video, where he realizes that the Canadians he thought had come to help him, are collaborating with his torturers. And weeps with despair.

So I was really glad to read this letter from Omar Khadr.

 Dennis you always say that I have an obligation to show the world what is going on down here and it seems that we’ve done every thing but the world doesn’t get it, so it might work if the world sees the US sentencing a child to life in prison, it might show the world how unfair and sham this process is, and if the world doesn’t see all this, to what world am I being released to? A world of hate, unjust and discrimination! I really don’t want to live in a life like this.

Coming as it does from the loneliest and most abused Canadian in the world, the letter both impresses me with its power.

And scares me.

I know it is hard for you. Just think about me as a child who died and get along with your life. Of course I am not saying that will or willn’t happen but its on my mind all the time.

Because if anything tragic should happen to this young Canadian, this child soldier, this victim of violence, gross injustice, and racism, the ugly stain on our country will never be erased.

But ultimately it inspires me.

 I’m so sorry to cause you this pain, but consider it one of your sons hard decisions that you don’t like, but you have to deal with, and always know what you mean to me and know that I will always be the same person you’ve known me and will never change, and please don’t be sad and be hopeful and know that there is a very merciful and compassionate creator watching us and looking out for us and taking care of us all, you might not understand these thing, but know by experience they have kept me how and who I am.

With love and my best wishes to you, and the family, and everybody who loves me, and I love them back in Canada, and I leave you with HOPE and I am living on it, so take care.

Because I believe it clearly shows what everyone who has ever met him has said. Despite the long agony he has endured, Omar Khadr has managed to hold on to his humanity. He is not a fanatic, and could easily be rehabilitated and reintegrated into Canadian society.

And I also love the way he spells HOPE. Like I do. Because if he can hold on to it in Guantanamo, I can hold hold on to it in Stephen Harper's Canada.

And what more can I say eh? Except what I've said for years. And always will say.

The trial is a travesty.

And Omar Khadr lives HERE...

No comments: