Friday, May 08, 2009

TV Anchor Threatens to Punch Gay Blogger

I've seen a lot of things on TV, but I don't think I've ever seen a TV anchor threaten to punch a guest.

Mckelway: I'm about ready to do a lot more than point my finger at you

Rogers: what would that be?

Mckelway: I, er, I will take you outside and give you a punch across the face because that is not what I said and that is not what I mean.

And then to make matters worse the next day asks for a close-up....so he can announce he has no intention of apologizing.

Only to end up get slapped down by his co-anchor...




Wow. What a great video moment. I think I'll file it under Bad Television and Closet Queens.

Because methinks that meatpuppet doth protest too much. Does he really think people should be ashamed to be gay?

Or does it explain why he spends soooooo much time.

Playing the banjo with the boys...













Seriously though....first there's homophobia

"Mckelway's use of threatened violence is another indication of how far the LGBT community has yet to go to be safe in America. Had this been any other minority in America, Mckelway would never have felt that threatened violence was acceptable.

Then there's self loathing. Normally I'd feel sorry for people who hate themselves. Because they only have one life just like everybody else. And I wouldn't out anyone...even though their actions suggest there is something wrong with being gay.

But when self loathing makes some closeted gay politicians our WORST enemies. And makes the fight against homophobia even more difficult.

They really have to be STOPPED....


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If people such as this chap were given suspensions from broadcasting with the suspensions increasing in time with each offence, the airwaves would be remarkably clear and civilised in short order.

Why can't we have this anymore? Anyone remember Alsop, Murrow, or the Lippmann brothers and their
excellent analyses and interviews?

Can't we go back to something like that? *sigh*

'berto said...

Simon --

You wrote, "I've seen a lot of things on TV, but I don't think I've ever seen a TV anchor threaten to punch a guest."

Well, this incident is before my time, but I've certainly heard of it -- William F. Buckley threatens to punch out Noam Chomsky, live on the air, simply because Chomsky disagreed with him. From 1969:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=870106744163006454

InJoy! :)

Simon said...

Hi Torontonian...I agree. I can't understand why he wasn't suspended by the station. You shouldn't be able to physically threaten somebody like that and get away with it.
As for your second question...the good journalists are still out there. It's just harder to find them in all the clutter and the garbage.
Maybe when the newspaper business collapses the good ones will band together, and we can read them all in one place...

Simon said...

Hi Berto....thanks for that link. It was quite an interview...you never hear that depth of intellect these days. I have to admit however that I didn't have 51 minutes to check out the whole video. So I skipped through it. I did notice Buckley's body language...if he had leaned any further away from Chomsky he would have fallen out of his chair. But I didn't find the good part so now I'm frustrated... and you'll have to tell me what specifically set Buckley off... :)