Thursday, February 04, 2010

The Monster and Omar Khadr













Just when I think that Stephen Harper couldn't possibly burrow any deeper into the muck of moral depravity. He does.

The Conservative government will not be asking the United States to send prisoner Omar Khadr home to Canada, despite a Supreme Court ruling last week that found his Charter rights were - and continue to be - violated.

Violating the human rights of a young Canadian, and horking in the face of the Supreme Court.

And why? Because his rabid base would never stand for him bringing that brownie Mooslim terrorist back to Canada because they hate him and his family soooooooo much.

And sadly so do a lot of other Canadians.

More than half of respondents (54%) say they do not feel sympathy for Khadr's plight, including 74% of Albertans. The proportion of Canadians who do not feel sympathy for Khadr's plight has increased by nine points since January 2009.

Probably because over the last year this photo...
















Has been replaced by this one.














Even though he was a boy when he was victimized by his crazy parents. Abused by the Taliban who used him as a gopher and a tea boy. Riddled with shrapnel, blinded in one eye, shot twice in the back by the Americans. Dragged off and tortured first in Bagram then in Guantanamo. Abandoned by his own government.

Even though he could not have thrown the grenade that killed that American soldier.

Even though by all accounts he is a decent young guy, who prefers reading comic books than studying the Koran, misses his homeland, and dreams of becoming a graphic artist. Although he is blind in one eye, slowly losing his sight in the other. And of course, after all those years in Guantanamo, is slowly losing hope.

But still so many Canadians don't feel sorry for him?

Oh boy. I don't know who those Canadians are, or where those Alberta values come from. But I don't want to live with them.

I want my country back.

Stephen Harper is a moral monster.

And Omar Khadr lives here...

2 comments:

Omar said...

And sadly so do a lot of other Canadians.

Hate to say, "I told you so", but..

(word verification:'werst'. lol)

Simon said...

hi Omar...yes I know...somebody actually accused me the other day of bringing a Bible to a poker game. Can you believe that? I was outraged of course. I told him that's impossible because I'm an atheist. :)
Seriously though...you know what consoles me? My firm belief that ten years from now this sad travesty of justice will be recognized for the shameful episode it is. And I will be able to hold my head up and say that at a time when base emotion blinded so many Canadians, I could see clearly and did the right thing.

P.S. As for "werst" I have to admit it wasn't my berst post, but I'm running out of things to say...