Thursday, November 11, 2010

Stephen Harper and the Burning Women


















Well now that Great Warrior Weather Vane Leader has made it it official. Our troops will remain in Afghanistan until 2014.

“I do this with some reluctance, but I think it is the best decision when one looks at the options,” Harper told reporters at a press conference before the opening of the G20 summit in Seoul, South Korea. “I don’t want to risk the gains that Canadian soldiers have fought for and they have sacrificed for in such significant numbers for by pulling out too early if we can avoid that.”

Now that he has caved in to American pressure, disregarded the wishes of Parliament and the views of the Canadian people. And is blowing hot air out of every orifice.

He added that he believes there are “minimal risks” involved with this type of training mission. Both the U.S. and Britain have urged Canada to stay on in a combat role, but Harper has refused. “I’ve been very clear, that’s not an option Canada will consider,” the Prime Minister said.

I'd just like to ask the following questions:

(1) Why does he take us for complete fools?

In other words, the Harper government is trying to paint a picture of Canadian troops staying in Afghanistan three years longer than expected but doing things where no one gets hurt.

In practice, the Harper plan may simply lead to three more years of Canadian troops dying in combat disguised as training.


(2) Why is he asking the soldiers in our small army to sacrifice themselves further, when his government  is betraying those who have already paid a heavy price?

"What they're trying to do is tantamount to putting a whole bunch of crappy patches on a leaky tire. Those of us who are severely disabled are still looking at about a 40-per-cent reduction in our income, compared to the old pension system. Does that seem like a good deal for a guy who's got no legs?"

(3) Why are we training even more Afghan soldiers to kill the Taliban when most Afghans want to negotiate with them ?

(4) What exactly are we doing there? When Al Qaeda is in Pakistan, Iraq, Somalia, and Yemen. But NOT in Afghanistan. And what are we realistically hoping to accomplish? Beyond giving NATO a reason to exist. And propping profiting up the military-industrial complex.

Now look, on the question of Afghanistan, I don't claim to own the truth. I respect the opinions of those who disagree with me. The plight of the desperately poor people in that country moves me deeply. I want to help them, especially the women.

And if I thought that by fighting there longer, we could help stop this.

















I'd sign up myself TOMORROW.

But since I know we can't. And I believe that the longer the war goes on the worse the situation will get in that country. And will only fuel terrorist threats all over the world.

All I'm asking for is a serious, honest, non-partisan debate in Parliament. Like the one we should have had long ago.

The troops will do as they are told. But Parliament should decide whether they stay or go. Not Stephen Harper

We need some answers, and we need them NOW...

No comments: