Monday, January 31, 2011

The Homophobe and the Wife Beater















A few weeks ago the BBC angered a lot of gay people by asking the Christianist fanatic Stephen Green to comment on the birth of Elton John's son. Even though he is a vicious homophobe.

Green has gone on record championing the Ugandan Anti-Homosexuality Bill, which would sentence LGBT people to death or life imprisonment. When rugby star Gareth Thomas came out of the closet, Green called him a threat to children, and said that LGBT people should be publicly hanged in order to keep children safe. And he once said that gay people are akin to Jeffrey Dahmer.

And then refused to apologize.

Now his wife has filed for divorce, claiming he treated her like a slave, and savagely beat her and the children.

‘He told me he’d make a piece of wood into a sort of witch’s broom and hit me with it, which he did,’ she recalls, her voice tentative and quiet. ‘He hit me until I bled. I was terrified. I can still remember the pain.

‘My eldest son was hit with a broomstick and kicked on the back of his legs. He still has scars on his shins. On one occasion Stephen beat him so hard with a piece of wood that we thought he might have broken his arm. When we took him to hospital, my son pretended he’d fallen because he didn’t want to incur his father’s anger.’

Oh boy. When I read about filthy bullies like Green, their cowardly violence still shocks me. Even though I've been fighting them most of my life.

But as PZ Myers points out why should anybody be surprised?

Christianists are evil people, and religion is the greatest fomenter of blind hatred the world has ever known.

The Harper government is crawling with these kind of fanatics, who would take women and gays back to the Middle Ages.

The BBC should be ashamed of themselves.

And Stephen Green should be JAILED...


Recommend this post at Progressive Bloggers.

2 comments:

Beijing York said...

Why does the media, here and across the pond, give these neanderthal thugs any attention? Don't they realize that they are giving their hatred credibility? Sommerville may be more gentle and polished in her presentation, but I still want to chuck the radio out the window whenever I hear her as the "go to" expert on CBC.

Simon said...

hi Beijing... the BBC, that I adore, has unfortunately a very bad record when it comes to gay rights. And I'm glad you reminded me about Margaret Somerville and our own CBC. She is not an expert on anything except the so-called Catholic natural law. But at least I had the pleasure of telling her that when I was at McGill ;)
I believe researchers at both media institutions believe they are providing "balance." But the truth is when it comes to the human rights of an oppressed minority, there should be no debate and balance is just more oppression....